Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Blowing Bubbles

In case you were wondering, my skin is still plagued with the curse of delayed adolesence. (That or poor lifestyle habits.... but that's neither here nor there.)

Today was another mundane Ortho adjustment that, shock-of-shocks, was yet more snappity-snap! elastic wrangling to continue addressing that which I prefer remain nameless for this post. ( i'm going the reverse psychology route. Perhaps denying it a name will rob it of power?) Replaced the powerchain configuration & added a new band back to the next molar back to try and keep thing moving.


What's interesting is how my bite has changed in the >10 hours since the appointment. The visible underbite discrepancy is much smaller all of a sudden; hardly any space between the top & bottom teeth. Mind you I can't bite all the way down now, either so it's hard to be very accurate.

My guess: lower arch was expanded as all were ordered to "pull your shoulders back and stand up straight!" (don't forget the nameless thing) and the doubling up of bands is now yanking everything back in tight.

What I know: holy twinkies, batman, I'm feeling this one.

And I neglected to suck spit bubbles off my teeth before taking this close-up.

8 comments:

  1. What a fabulous blog!!! I can tell the difference in person but your pics are incredible. Already I picture your smile now as opposed to how I've known it our whole lives. And you still look like (beautiful)you so I don't think you'll have to worry on that front. Just wanted to encourage you to keep up the great writing and sharing of your experience on this crazy ortho-journey. love ya El

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh...orthodontics! Do you take Motrin before the appointments? I do that and it really helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately I'm allegic to Ibuprophen and all NSAIDS. Sucks large as Tylenol doesn't cut it & people look at you funny requesting narcotics for everyday use....Hmmm go figure :)

    I'm feeling back to normal now, as seems to be the pattern. 24 hours then it's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing how fast teeth can move when they're motivated?

    It's certianly a bummer that you're allergic to all NSAIDS! Whoa! I don't know what I'd do without good ol' motrin and alleve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gap! Is still there! What a pain! Well, things are moving, even if slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what Kate? My orthodontic adjustments were way more painful than this surgery. The first few times, I remember I could only eat soups, and if I accidentally knocked my teeth together, there would be sharp shooting pain all throughout my lower face.

    Post-op for me (and maybe same for you as you're only getting upper jaw too) has just been stiffness and major nasal congestion / mucus. Not as intolerable as those new wires!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog Katherine,
    I still live at home with my parents, so mum will be around. I was tempted to stay with my sister in another state to avoid seeing my whining dad but her kids might hit me in the face accidentally.

    I love the new look of you blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you really gotta put up with the braces first if you really want your teeth all aligned. By the time you're free of the braces, there ain't any gap or underbite. You just gotta love the dentist.

    ReplyDelete