Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Survival Skills 101

Everyone has their own little bag of tricks for getting by and that bag ,whether simple or of seismic proportions is pretty important to how you present yourself. It can include things, actions, attitudes: A go-to outfit for an important meeting complete with that underwear which refuses to budge. An album or playlist that is sure to inspire whatever mood the occasion calls for. The friend whose number is on speed dial that you know will say just the right thing. A Tide-to-Go stick stashed in the bottom of every purse ...


Near the top of my list is the 'head-tilt'. (The top spot being reserved for my favourite personal mantra ~"shut up, shut up, shut up..." yes, I talk to much and am trying to recite this internally BEFORE I actually say something ~ still working on it).

Allow me to demonstrate:

The grin stays the same, yet by merely changing the angle of my head I go from looking like I have an underbite (though portraying a strong, confident exterior ) to being able to mask it quite well (this gets you called 'cute' once in a blue moon, which is the risk one takes...)













I've noticed some references to how people are perceived on first meeting based purely on initial response. It's been found that irregardless of actual personality or other characteristics, those with underbites are frequently viewed as strong, stubborn, confident, even grouchy. I plead the 5th on all above.

Obviously this is not an exact science, and varies a bit between the sexes. (severity of the bite has to play in as well). I find interesting that chin implants are a frequent request of men visiting their plastic surgeons ~ it's felt they look weak and overlooked, and want a stronger look assuming it will serve them well with the ladies & in the workplace.

I'm not going to draw many conclusions on this and would have to think if you spend much time with a person the truth will out. However, on aesthetics I wouldn't mind a happy medium. Less bull dog, no pushover, just, just..... hmmm.

Sharing time, folks. What's in your bag?

17 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine...wow...you're coming along really well. I love your haircut...very classy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...maybe it's not a new haircut but it's so you!!!! Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, thank you very much! I did get darker colours put in it for winter...Loving the red :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So interesting, Kate! I wonder if they have ever done psych experiments with women with underbites and how they are perceived in job interviews!?

    A Juliette Binoche overbite makes you look like an innocent child, but what about an underbite?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new layout!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post made me laugh as I now find myself looking for my new "best angle." I love your hair btw. It's way cute. I just got mine cut and it's not nearly as cute as yours (regardless of the head tilt).

    I grew up on the border of Ontario in northern NY. I adore Canada. When is your surgery scheduled for?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya, I'm liking the new layout, Holly. I saw the 'cutestblog' link on the other Katherine's site after telling her I liked her new look...that site can suck you in for hours!

    Mollie, I wish I knew when to expect surgery. Originally it could've been anytime between December & June. NOT gonna be December...everything is on hold till that gap is gone ~and hence why I b@$ch about it so much, haha!
    Cool, you actually lived close enough to know what a great place it is (and that we don't count dogsleds as our main mode of transportation :) )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hah! I have a giant smile that as a teenager I used to hide (it's scary at times). Now, I smile as wide as a I can in pictures - which usually looks hilarious (better than retarded and weak).

    Also, my suitcase of a purse has been called the "mary poppins bag" because I've got everything I could ever need in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. BTW - ever notice how all the cartoon villains (in Wallace and Gromit, in Nintendo characters, in Disney movies) have underbites?? I always called it my 'Bowser Bite' after that mean dog-monster Nintendo character in the old Mario Kart game.

    No cartoon princesses (or princes for that matter!) ever had underbites!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My GOD I love that hair cut... Never wanted mine short as I think it exacerbates my underbite, but you're proof of the otherwise!!

    New layout looks fab also... And am so with you on the angle!! Smiling without doing it fully and teeth *slightly* ajar usually works for me!
    I've posted a few times about people's perceptions.. it's why I've always maintained a very smiley and cheery personality because even though it makes my chin stand out more, not smiling makes me look fairly aggressive I think..

    I have a date! Will post on blog in a sec... But will keep fingers crossed as would be ace if we were surgery buddies!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. V you have a date and you're leaving me HANGIN"!!!???? G'AH!
    So good to hear from you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ps. Thanks for the kudos on the hair, guys :)

    V, my surgeon commented that it's unusual to see an underbiter with short hair. I just got tired of hiding behind it...my 'flip-off' to fate, haha! That and I get bored.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do exactly the same thing, except in reverse. The upwards head tilt. It has its own problems though - in photos it makes it look like my neck blends straight up into my jaw. Also, I'm tall, so tilting my head up means I have to peer down at people. I never, ever mastered even one good head position.

    My little sister (gorgeous expert in camera poses) was over in Feb and she tried to teach me, but it just didn't work. She actually got frustrated with me while taking pictures in a cafe in Vegas ... "It's ok for now, Laura, but in the future don't try to do that thing with your chin".

    I'm really looking forward to showing her what I can do now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loooove the hair. Very cute.
    Could never pull off short hair due to my own moderately curly hair (it will stick out given half a chance) and, because, let's face it, my nose looks weird in profile either way.

    So profile pics were a no go in my case. As was anything requiring a broad smile. I used to mostly stand there with my nose in frontal view, try to keep my lips closed (not easy for a mouth breather) tilt my head downwards and forwards and roll my eyes (I do that in a LOT of pictures).
    I can't wait to strike a pose and smile after surgery number 2.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blog is very interesting. There is a complete documentation of teeth. There are also many comments on your blog. Good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey stranger! I meant to comment weeks back but am only now coming out from the post surgery darkness.

    My OD commented once that he thought it was harder for a woman to have a class III than a class II bite. I think he's right; each gender connotes certain traits.

    Personally, I think the total package determines that first impression. Juliette Binoche is lovely and her slight overbite is complimented by great cheekbones, a nice throat, full lips, nice eyes, and the accent. Reese Witherspoon has a slight class III, and of course, she's lovely, too.

    Before braces, whenever I approached someone with a gorgeous smile, I'd kinda smile bigger than normal, in hopes they'd say something like, "you've got a nice smile". Another trick was to tilt my head up, though this was often mistaken as arrogance. I used to wear makeup to shade my under chin area...and for years had this bizarre anorexic view of my face, regardless of how much fat I had shed.

    I don't carry a big purse, now, if you wanted to peek at all the junk stashed in my car...that's another story. :)

    hope your gap is closing!

    December 06, 2008

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've just gotta say I love your hair! Sooo cute! (And this will sound much stranger) but I love your jaw/neck definition too. I just got liposculpture on my neck and chin, I'll be sooo lucky if it looks even remotely like yours! I'm a very jealous girl, I am! :P

    ReplyDelete