Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Slight-Of-Hand

So far this week I've had my family physician pow-wow, been officially stamped as wonderfully healthy by both doctor & dentist, had enough blood drawn to fill a moat (and didn't pass out! which is pretty new for me, a chronic blood-related fainter), EKG stickers applied and ripped off like bandaids, peed in various receptacles, had teeth scraped, scaled and baking soda blasted...

Coversation as heard in my house this morning:

"Ow, ow, ow!"

"Are you stretching down there?"

"Feel the BURN!"

"No really, are you okay?"

"I'm trying to get up! Help!"

.....and signed up for a Body Bootcamp. I'm a fairly active person who suffers from lack of self-motivation by times, so I thought I'd give this new class a go. Oh MY! You know when you do something a little different and talk about finding new muscles you didn't know existed? How this is normally restricted to a specific body area depending on that activity?

I posses a whole second body, living within the known one like a parasite. That new-found one hurts. Everywhere. ALOT. But what a hoot~ I can't wait for next week. I can't move but inside I'm all pumped and raring to go!

How is this jaw related? I guess it's not directly associated, except that the nerves are creeping in on occasion and I wanted to channel that adrenaline into a tangible, completely separate outlet. I suppose housework or never-ending laundry would have sufficed, but I have to do that anyways and it just feels like more jaw-surgery prep. I'm doing hot yoga on Saturday, so I can add sweaty pain to the list :)

This week's been busy on the Doctor front though surgery still feels a long way off. The one coming up is fairly quiet~ a calm before the storm. Time to catch my breath before the whirlwind picks up and I'm dumped unceremoniously on "the other side" without warning.

Breathe.

BRING IT!

10 comments:

  1. Way to go Kate! It's good to find some motivation for exercise, even if it is... the saw! You're going to look so fantastic and so different. Body toned, new face, [not that you need a change], it'll be fun... like a new haircut. Well, a new jaw cut is more like it! I'm getting really excited for you! I'm 3 months out now, still noticing little changes and loving my new profile and little changes to my face. It's wonderful.

    ~Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fairly skinny (Karen Carpenter would be proud! Wait, was that appropriate?)...any weight I get goes right to my tummy, which leaves me looking like a pregnant toothpick. I thought about adhering to some kind of exercise regiment before surgery, but found that it's much easier to do it in your mind, so I took that approach instead...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome that you're doing a boot camp. I've looked into a few, but they're always at like 5am and as much as I love to work out (I really do)... I do NOT work out in the morning. However, I LOVE working out as a stress reliever about all of this. Whenever I can't take it anymore I just run a little faster until I'm too tired to think. It's awesome.

    HOT YOGA!!!!!! I'm SO JEALOUS!! It sounds like so much fun! Though, make sure you don't eat for a few hours before you go - I had two friends that went after eating and they both threw up. Yuck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, I love you guys :)

    Life simetimes gets in quite the rut, and when it FEELS like a rut.... I'd forgotten how much fun it it to try new things~ And empowering too!

    Elaine, I love that you're getting comfortable with and loving your profile. It's worth loving!

    George (or should we call you Karen?), you always makes me chuckle. And thank you for that visual, haha! For me the physical is a bonus, I'm doing it for my mental health!

    Steph, I've hear what you're saying about the timing of things. This one is at 7:30 at night which is perfect! Hubby's home to take over the kids so I can escape...
    Thanks for the heads up & general warning to avoid pukage. I will head it wisely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing great! I am proud of you. I go to the gym every day at 4:00 am. This is my only free time to go, so off to the gym it is. I am so missing it right now though. My doctor has not cleared me for it yet, but I am ready when he is. Bless you girl. Your day is coming fast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The time is going to go by so fast! I can't believe how fast it's gone. I think exercise is a great stress reliever. I thought about it, but didn't actually end up doing it. Instead I have been cleaning and doing laundry and organizing everything like a mad woman. Good luck with the hot yoga. Have you done it before? People either seem to love it or hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katherine--
    Thanks for visiting my blog, and for your words of reassurance! I would love for you to follow along with my surgery escapades, and I would like to follow yours as well. My surgery is actually going to be on May 18. I saw my oral surgery on Friday and received more clarification. Good luck with everything! It is nice to know we can all share this experience online :)
    --Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the support Katherine! You are awesome. I'm starting to get really nervous. Going to keep myself busy today with laundry, cleaning and shopping. I can't believe it's here already. It's almost your turn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousMay 01, 2009

    Hi there, you look great even before surgery. I'm in Toronto and wondered who your surgeon is. I'm trying to decide btw Tocchio and Clokie and wondered if you knew either one of them. I liked Clokie's plan for me but I've never seen any of his pts. I liked Tocchio's plan less but I've seen evidence of his great work. Any input you have would be so appreciated. If you don't feel like posting your answer here, my email address is: upturnednina@yahoo.com. Thanks for your time. Nina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kate, hope all's going well with the boot camp. 10 days to go now, so better make the most of having a workable mouth! Not being about to talk or eat properly (my two most favourite activities) sounds really tough, though I think my family are looking forward to a bit of peace and quiet :)

    ReplyDelete