Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Quartermaster

At this stage of the game there's not a whole lot of juiciness to pass on, just counting "bullets & beans". A few of my dates got changed, but nothing that affects THE date. Ortho was going to do hooks on the 13th (bless them) but Grand Pu bah wants them on for our May 7th pow-wow ~ so hooks on the 6th it is. I'm to the point this doesn't bother me, though the tale might digress somewhat if I'm consuming my body weight in wax following installation. Yum.

I have to wait for the goodies in Head Honcho's 'mystery-bag-of-delight', but allow me to share a smattering of my nesting compulsions thus far.

I've decided not to go the zip-n-squeeze route. Perhaps there will be cursing later, but I've practiced with my baster, improvised baby bottles, flexible paper cups and squeeze bottles and think there's enough option & variety to suffice. I've stocked up on all things liquid; from sweet to bland to savoury, thin to thick consistency, to make sure there's no excuse against getting those calories in.

My ipod is full of playlists for evey mood, as is the variety of movies & books at hand. The humidifier is at the ready and juicer well-broken in.

My most substantial purchase? That Lazyboy recliner (OH! so comfy like a hug!) I tried out all kinds of chairs offered as loaners from family and felt like Goldilocks. Couldn't imagine sleeping in them for a night let alone weeks. This one is Juuuuuust right!

My favourite purchase? That ladybug neck pillow, how cute and cheery is that?!

I know all too well from the openness of our fellow bloggers just how unprepared I'll feel with the emotional roller coaster that is jaw surgery. I'm just trying to keep an open mind that it WILL be a roller coaster and will cross those bridges and hurdles as they come. Physical preparedness is not something I want to worry about on top of it all.

I've been studying the supplement options for a while now and was quite impressed by the Vita Medica product that Rita mentioned her surgeon giving her as it has everything I want in one handy program. Figures I can't get it in Canada. So I made note of the dosage recommendations and individually got:

Bromelain and Quercetin (for the swelling- I'm allergic to advil and anti-inflammatory meds), homeopathic Calcium/minerals (for bone support and a form that doesn't build up in your body), Arnica (both topical and internal for bruising) and a liquid multi-vitamin for over all health. In the meantime I'll be switching my regular B complex super vitamin to one that doesn't have vitamin E and will stop juicing ginger root and garlic a couple of weeks prior to surgery due to their blood thinning properties.

Phew! Wasn't that exciting? Hope nobody passed out in a puddle of drool. This is where I'm at for today :)

21 comments:

  1. Geez, you're way more prepared than I am! The closest thing I'm getting to a Lazyboy is propping up my mattress. This might be before your time, but I actually got the first season of What's Happening for my viewing pleasure...plus every episode of the Twilight Zone. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg...I feel so unprepared! I better get busy. I love the picture of your stash there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to let you know that I found those VitaMedica things online. They seem to be a lot cheaper than what Rita's doctor sold them for. Here's the links:

    http://www.iderma.com/product/vita_medica_bromelaine/

    http://www.iderma.com/product/vitamedica_arnica_montana_30x/

    I'm debating if I should get them or not

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doubt that you guys are unprepared, I'm just an anal retentive control freek :)

    Thanks for the links, Amy. That's one one the sites I tried to order from, but for whatever reason this brand won't ship to Canada. I did find Canadian brands with very simial dosages, so it's all worked out. I think going this route is purely a matter or preference~ some people do and swear by them, some don't and do just dandy. *shrug*

    George,I hang my head in shame. I'm not famailiar with 'What's Happening' but am off to google to bone up on the general premise. Twilight Zone, on the other hand....Good call!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, don't worry about it. It's a very funny TV show. BTW, I can't enlarge your pic of supplies anymore...did you remove the bigger size?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed that too! ~changed the format and apparently it didn't like that. I think it's working again now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate,
    I don't think I have ever been so excited for an orthoblogger to get surgery. Feels like you've been waiting for an eternity!

    It's getting so close! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, I noticed the soup containers...I don't suppose you can post some recipes? I wanted to make some soup and freeze a bunch in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so excited for you!! I am also thinking about getting a Lazyboy chair. I am constantly uncomfortable even without having my jaws sawed off, and can't imagine sleeping on pillows (and I don't really know anyone that has a recliner to even borrow)... I'm glad I'm not alone :)

    Thanks for your comforting words over on my blog, also. I'm feeling better today and know that something will eventually work out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steph, you're welcome anytime~ Hon, we want things to work out for you *so* badly. You're family now, girl :)

    George, I am notorious for not using recipes. I Hem and Haw like the muppets chef and throw crap in. I'll do my best to get some rough guidelines/ ideas for you though.

    Holly, SO good to hear from you! Hope everything in your own crazy journey is working itself out~ don't be a stranger :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there!

    Just checking in and mighty impressed with your wise planning. Seeing the Lazy Boy chair made me smile, bringing back memories of sleeping in my own recliner for a couple of weeks. My, how the time does pass.

    You are gonna sail through recovery. Your attitude is strong, your supports in place, yeah you! Oh, I wish I had thought about movies and playlists. That is a really good idea.

    What have planned for your children? Will they be in school?


    Happy Easter tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on getting your date!!! You're so well prepared - that chair is going to be awesome.

    One of the fun parts of the surgery (I thought), was shopping for all the recovery food, and then having a pantry full of all kinds of interesting stuff for months afterwards. I still have pancake mix, apple sauce, tons of frozen fruits, mashed potato mix, frozen spinach ... the list goes on. But you don't know what you'll want until you're recovering, so you just have to stock up on a variety of food beforehand and then get creative with the leftovers afterwards.

    I'm sure there must be something fun to do with all that apple sauce ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kate,

    One month to go and all set! V excited for you :)

    Have you planned your 'last supper' yet - has to be a big blowout of all your favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, special chair, huh. Cool. That's what I wished I'd had!

    1 month to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so impressed with all that you have done. I have a recliner, but it is not a great one. It works. lol I like yours better.
    I do believe the vitamins have worked for me. I am still swollen but my doctor and nurses are saying it should have been much more with the extent of the surgery. I will be keeping up more now that I am felling better. Blessings to you! : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sheesh~ so very sorry, Aimee, for mispelling your name earlier. I'm a tool.

    Katherine~ For the first week the kids will be at my in-laws only 10 minutes away.They are extremely used to staying there and can still carry on with their usual school routine. It's also close enough for them to visit when we're feeling up to it. Week 2, my mom is coming here to look after everybody, so they're well looked after. That's the nice part of them being a bit older. They "get" what's going on for the most part. Thanks for asking :)

    Haha Laura~ I can think of a few 'saucy' suggestions... Funny you should mention it; I made and canned 110 Litres of applesauce about a month ago as part of my prep (not all of it for me, mind you). After all that I don't think I even want to LOOK at applesauce,lol.

    Descantus~ Last meal,hmmmm. I've actually been viewing EVERYTHING as a last meal since the braces went on, haha. A year+ and 15 pounds later.....

    Rita~ Very encouraging to hear the vitamins are beneficial. I asked my OS about them and he seemed unfamiliar (just my luck) but I'm going to take them irregardless. Sure can't hurt :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! You are so prepared! I love these blogs - I unfortunately didn't discover them until after the surgery.
    I only used my zip-n-squeeze bags 3 times. I was able to drink through a straw right away, which may be the reason. I was grateful to have them but may have been fine without them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. dang, it's like christmas!! sweet ipod!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Less than a month to go, now!

    WAHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Did you hear that way up in Canada? I think it was pretty loud ;)

    Hope you're still doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Plastic baby spoons! You need plastic baby spoons. That is how I fed myself. Watered down instant mashed potatoes and Greek yogurt with honey! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete