Sunday, December 7, 2008

On This Day...

1732 - The original Covent Garden Theatre Royal (now the Royal Opera House) was opened.

1431 - In Paris, Henry VI of England was crowned King of France.

1796 - John Adams was elected to be the second president of the United States.

1836 - Martin Van Buren was elected the eighth president of the United States.

1842 - The New York Philharmonic gave its first concert.

1926 - The gas operated refrigerator was patented by The Electrolux Servel Corporation.

1941 - Pearl Harbor, located on the Hawaiian island of Oahu was attacked by nearly 200 Japanese warplanes. The attack resulted in the U.S. entering into World War II.

1972 - Apollo 17 was launched at Cape Canaveral.

1987 - Soviet leader Mikhail S. Gorbachev set foot on American soil for the first time. He had come to the U.S. for a Washington summit with U.S. President Reagan.

2008- Kate remembers that she neglected to celebrate or otherwise mark her 1 year brace-aversary....

Yep, one more footnote lost in the annals of history.

I'm still not naming 'it' (no power, no power, no power) but 'it' is still there, still ticking me off and still closing ever so s-l-o-w-l-y.

What else have I learned lately?

  • Procrastination is BAD and ultimately ends up being much more time consuming than the original chore would otherwise entail.
  • Our farm aced the full 'On Farm Food Safety Assurance Program' audit (Wahoo! for us)
  • Carbon Monoxide poisoning kicks your hooey, is helped wonders by pure oxygen, but still leaves you feeling like a space cadet for a time.
  • Taking 3 kids to the dentist simultaneously means signing over the last piece of your soul that the ortho's haven't already claimed
  • My next date with the primary 'soul-holder' is on Tuesday.
  • It's cold, snowy, blowy and alot like winter out there.. I've got a good book and Bubblebath calling my name....

4 comments:

  1. omg you got carbon monoxide poisoning?? How? And how did you know what it was?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long story but I'll try to give the Campbell's soup (condensed, haha!) version: I was washing out our chicken barn with the pressure washer which is heated with a propane burner (large barn = large pressure washer). I've done it a million times but *dumb* was in too big a hurry, neglecting to open all the doors and windows to properly vent the exhaust. 3 hours of gradually sucking fumes (and the lovely aroma of chicken poo wafting from the lower floor)meant I didn't notice it happening 'til I realized I was seeing spots, couldn't lift the wand anymore, and that sick, sick feeling of everything spinning,weak, dark spots. I did get out of the barn before going down (lying in a puddle of poo was not appealing). My hubby got me off the ground & to ER for blood work and beautiful oxygen. Life is SUCH an adventure, heehee. Feeling much better now though. Still having a hard time focusing but that can be blamed on life in general, too :)Live & learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's pretty scary. Maybe that poo puddle saved your life by making you go outside! (even if not it'll make a great family story ... they'll be telling it for generations ... "the day great grandma Kate was saved by poo!" :) Wow. Now I'm 14.

    Really glad you made it through that one ok! Hope the fogginess clears up soon too - I hate that foggy feeling. And hooray for hubby's quick whisking to the ER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Katherine...stay away from those chickens!!! :) So glad that you are ok! I love your blog template, looks great! How's the teeth doing???

    ReplyDelete