Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Stalker

That would be me, by the way. I know many of you have shared the fixation one can develop with categorizing everyone around by Malocclusion, suggested correction, necessity of Genio; perhaps even hazarding an estimate of required rotation/movement to within a millimeter... if this were a sport, I may now be worthy of being picked for the team. I, ever so subtle, (I hope!) shift myself to glimpse profiles from a better vantage point; focus all telekinetic energies on coaxing a smile. Heck, if they play hard to get, I'm not above flashing my overwhelming bling at them in hopes of eliciting an open-mouthed gasp of horror. *Click!* Gotcha!My mouth is boring right now, so focusing on others is a way to stay on top of my game. Speaking of opportunities in this regard, I just returned from a Week at Club Med (Bahamas) where I was definitely the only brace face on the whole Isle. (I'll post a pic soon but let me tell you just how WELL a tan sets off the sparkle on the 'ole grill.) I did notice the usual range of bites but granted how Class III is my honorary title, a couple of women definitely sharing this status particularly caught my eye: After much study, and successfully attaining enough varied views to come to some conclusion, I found that they both had Orthodontic work done - Chiclets that perfectly in a row and level, midlines to die for....trust me on this - but their top teeth were quite obviously tipped out to get an end on end bite. No Class I. Just enough to get contact. I found this very interesting, but I restrained myself from striking up the old "Are you happy with your bite?" line (I’m sure they hear it all the time!) I can only assume -& in complete ignorance- that discomfort was not the primary concern? Or maybe they heard 'surgery' and said to heck with that- make them as 'normal' as you can? Was this a common trend at one time or another? Wouldn't this potentially create a host of other problems down the road? Really, I'd love to hear what you think about this.

10 comments:

  1. Bahamas! I'm so jealous!
    The tipping out of teeth is pretty standard procedure for orthodontists if they don't think the occlusion is going to get much worse. (As I understand it) The orthodontist I had as a kid did that to my teeth when I had just a slight underbite, which of course meant that when I went back for this round, they had to fix the tilt of my teeth first, but so it goes. If the bite had never gotten worse, I hardly would have even known my teeth weren't quite right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a trip! You know everything changes once you go thru orthodontics and surgery. I always point out people who need surgery, and my husband says I weird. Well, I've got the eye for it now. Glad you are doing good, Ive been soo busy with work now, its really cutting into my blog time. I may have to stop working, hehe. Anyway, thanks for checking on me, Im in that same boring phase as you. I feel like nothing is really happening, I have an appt on Monday, so heres to something fancy! Oh, appletini tonight!!! Oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katherine, just caught up on your blog. Took me long enough. Heads not right at the moment! and aren't you just a fire cracker! Ya know, you already have the cutest little face. Not blowing smoke either, you really do. I just wanted to thank you for checking in on me and being supportive. Looking forward to reading all of your adventures. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys :)

    Good to know Bridget, and what a pain having to re-do all the work you'd already had done. I guess Orthodontics is like the rest of medicine and should be referred to as a practice, eh?!

    Ya, Michelle...where are your priorities, girl? Just joking, but really, any word from you is great ~ we'll eagerly anticipate whatever we can get!!

    You're so sweet Shontell *hug*. I'm actually jealous of your busted elf/nutty professor though...it means you've MADE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy could I use a week at Club Med!! Between the orthodontics and this oh so looong winter, I have just about had it!
    I would have to agree with Shontell, you have a very cute face:)and you are a firecracker! I just love reading your blog. You even had my husband laughing the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katherine, I just read your blog and I must say I really liked it. I can relate to the TMJ thing as well. I have been suffering with it for nine years and each year it gets a little worse. I wear a splint but I don't get much relief from it though. So, I will be having upper and lower jaw surgery in May and am REALLY hoping it will help my TMJ and line everything back up again. I have a class 111 malocclusion as well and have been in braces for one year and three months. I look forward to reading more about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just checking in on ya...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Michelle.

    We've had two deaths in the family over the past couple of weeks which have been incredibly difficult....that's why I've been slackin' in the Ortho world. Promise I'll be back by the weekend!

    Trust things are starting to come together for you...can't wait to check up on all you guys *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the comment you left on my blog, Katherine - I'm going to add you as a link for my readers, too.

    Take care,
    Bree

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope everything is okay? Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete